mrlewishistoricalsociety

Friday, July 27, 2007

Someone had a question that might be useful for all of you to hear

On 7/26/07, jake pieruccini wrote:
HI Mr. Lewis this is Jake Pieruccini I'm going to be one of your students next year. I just have some questions on the summer assent you gave us. I understand activity one but activity 2 THEMATIC MAPS it says to insert a CD and i was just hoping that may bee you could clear up the directions on that. Or where I'm supposed to get the CD from.
Thanks
Jake Pieruccini


You do not have to insert a CD at any point. Clarify for me exactly where it says this and I will help. You only have to answer the qs that are in the handout page of our class website. The first three assignments. The adobe file that you open should help you to answer these questions but you do not have to do the activities in the adobe file. Below are the quesitons you answer. Check out the class blog as well. You can find the blog by going to the website and clicking on the class news section and going to the ap human geo news.
Maps and Charts Questions
The handout for this assignment is the link directly below the questions.
1. Describe how longitude and latitude are used and
include any other relevant concepts or terms.
2. What is projection and what problems occur with projection?
3. Describe the difference between a site and a situation.
4. What are the differing types of regions and when
and why do they get used?
5. Describe the difference between environmental determinism
and possibilism. / I will post information on the blog for this one
6. What is the difference between concentration and density? /on the blog
7. Explain how an isoline map works. / handout
8. What is the difference between a chloropleth map and a dot
map and when is it useful to use one or the other?
9. When would use a thematic map?
10. Why would it be useful to use a proportional
symbol map when looking at world population?
I realize some of these questions are tough so I will start posting
hints on the blog for these ones starting July 8th. But also use the handout
below.
Kuby Handout for completing homework questions

Best State and Maps Exercise
1. Explain how map scales work and include the following terms: large scale;
small scale; smaller area; larger area; 1:60,000; 1:4,000,000; Illinois; and world
2. Fill in this handout / Best State handout
3. What country would be the best to live in and site five statisitics that
prove your country is the best / trying using nationmaster.com for statistics
4. Choose 5 key characteristics and how to map them in your state.
Why is each map the ideal for the characteristic?

Extra Materials Question Set #1
1. Map pages questions
a If the map scale is 1/31680 and city A is 4 inches from city B, how many inches
apart are they in reality?
b A bakery needs to supply goods to every store within 20 miles. How many
inches is that on this map?
c Answer the questions to the summer Kuby handout pages 15 to 17.
2. Read the cholera section and answer the following section
a Why did Snow believe that Cholera had to have another way of spreading
besides physical contact between people?
b Explain GIS and explain how it could be used to both eliminate factors and to
find the factor that did cause the spread of the disease.
c Explain how a GIS map and population demographics can prove the way cholera or any disease spreads.
3. Text Questions
a Explain uneven development
b Explain the concept of space-time compression
c Define globalization

Broad Street Pump Map
Broad Street Pump Map Special New Edition



On 7/26/07, jake pieruccini wrote:
HI Mr. Lewis this is Jake Pieruccini I'm going to be one of your students next year. I just have some questions on the summer assent you gave us. I understand activity one but activity 2 THEMATIC MAPS it says to insert a CD and i was just hoping that may bee you could clear up the directions on that. Or where I'm supposed to get the CD from.
Thanks
Jake Pieruccini

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home